2 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

I think the VAR has been better than up to the task so far.  Least where called upon in the matches I've seen.  One more tool in the ref's toolbox.  If the VAR develops into something else in the future who can say?  I'm doubtful though.  Think it's settled into exactly what we're seeing right now for the foreseeable future.

Do agree it's going to change the game.  It already is. Mostly for the better.

Yeah I definitely agree and for the most part it helps the refs out a lot more

For Sweden it is a must win game. If they beat Mexico they will have 6 points but then Mexico already has 6 points because they beat Germany and South Korea. Then you also have the Germans who beat the Swedes and Germany have 3 points so if they beat South Korea they will have 6 points. So it could be a 3 way tie between Mexico, Sweden and Germany to determine who finishes 1st and 2nd but also determines who may go out even with 6 points as strange as Group F has now become.

So how much fun was that?  Mexico on 6 points and needing Korea to keep them in the tournie.  And Korea does, in style to-boot!

Well  done  KOREA   THIS  IS  GOOD  FOR  ASIAN  SOCCER . Usually  in  World  Cups   there  is  always a  contender  that  plays  like  crap  this  year  it  was  Germany "s  turn . unfortunately .  it  happens   .

My "strategy" in this World Cup is: after England, cheer for anyone from a federation that has not won it yet.  Mexico is only one that has come through for me so far (with a bit more drama than I was hoping) and it doesn't hurt that they have Hernandez in their team.   

Roll on Senegal (Kouyate) and Japan.

So for Russian fans: Russia makes past the first round; Germany goes out in the first round; Ukraine, China and US aren't in the first round at all.  Russia is doing well and all her opponents are out of not in the tournament.  Who cares what happens the rest of the way.

Actually the VAR getting sight of the ball coming off the German leg before going to the South Korean player kept Mexico going on to the second round, for Germay to knock out Mexico by tying South Korea at 0 - 0 would have been a major dissipointment too.

1 minute ago, ken said:

Actually the VAR getting sight of the ball coming off the German leg before going to the South Korean player kept Mexico going on to the second round, for Germay to knock out Mexico by tying South Korea at 0 - 0 would have been a major dissipointment too.

Germany would have been on only 4 pts if they drew, they needed to win for Mexico to be eliminated.

jpg75 in the bbc reports that I was watching in the first half Germany was going through with a tie, as it was both were ties and Germany was ahead of Sweden at that point.  I mixed it around for the final score.

Did not see Sweden topping the group let alone going through heading into today so that was insane.  They deserve it though, Germany was fortunate to beat them I thought.  

I’m loving this second round, I have to admit I was hoping Argentina/Brazil would get bounced as well.  

Think I love these final group matches where teams control their own fate.  

VAR makes a massive contribution to the Senagal Columbia match and Japan goes through with their collective tails between their collective legs.   Great fun.

10 minutes ago, Vic said:

All CONMEBOL teams through.

All CAF teams out.

Thoughts?

Almost true. Peru out. Really enjoyed Senegal. Shame they didnt go through. Liked Japan and Colombia though too -- that group was always going to have at least one disappointment. I'm with the Polish fans -- Lewandowski was a disappointment, although to be fair he was in a similar untenable position to Messi of carrying all the expectations. Didn't look willing to carry that weight though. 

80% - CONMEBOL (4/5)
71% - UEFA (10/14)
33% - CONCACAF (1/3)
20% - AFC (1/5)
  0% - CAF (0/5)

FIFA has six confederations. Two confederations have qualified 14/16 teams. The other four confederations have qualified 2/16.

The World Cup is now 2/3 Europe, 1/4 South American, and 1/10th the rest of the world.

7.5 billion people in the world. Just 10% of that in Europe., and 5% of that in South America.

Is it really the World Cup?  Or is it a tournament for 15% of the world?

The IIHF manages this distribution by having divisions and tiers and different championships and hostings, so Mexico doesn't have to play Canada in hockey and so they can actually win something.

I often wonder if this isn't a better approach. For Canada, it would mean we aren't always sitting at home and scoring no goals in the blue moon we get there.  We would always be at a world championship and always able to compete.

Either way I mean most likely we know now it will either be a European or South American team winning. I mean that is inevitable because all African teams are eliminated. The only CONCACAF rep left is Mexico and even then they will most likely get eliminated by Brazil. The only Asian team left is Japan. So it is all a foregone conclusion at this point that either Europe or South America is taking the crown.

I think Brazil is vulnerable and Mexico may be the team to put some balls into the goal.  That being said pretty sure Brazil can find the goal too.  (Yah think?).  Will be less surprised than some if Mexico wins through Brazil.

Annnd they're in the right bracket to go on a run (in my humble opinion).  That would be something.  Good & bad

23 minutes ago, Vic said:

I often wonder if this isn't a better approach. For Canada, it would mean we aren't always sitting at home and scoring no goals in the blue moon we get there.  We would always be at a world championship and always able to compete.

Not sure anyone would be especially interested in a B side finals.  There's lots of large regional tournaments, FIFA is good for that, in some parts of the world those competitions maybe need a little more sexing up.  Tricky to do though.

23 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Germany falls to the World Cup curse of defending champions going out in the group stage

It is not enough just to show up.

I’m tired of our boring Canadian TV coverage, every World Cup we have guys in a studio here in Canada covering the World Cup far away , spend some money and send these guys to the location like the US does every World Cup , Fox has a studio right in Red Square in Moscow , in Brazil in 2014 ABC had a studio right in Rio on the main beach in Rio, but here in Canada every World Cup every four years our TV coverage consist of guys in a studio here in Toronto boring as shit!

I found some of the game commentators in FOX to be literally annoying.  Both man and woman.  They always talking about the mistakes the players make, what they should have done, what the coach should do, etc.  I prefer someone to just describe the plays, give names of players, what passes take place all without giving their personal opinion which is uninformed.

6 hours ago, 1996 said:

I’m tired of our boring Canadian TV coverage, every World Cup we have guys in a studio here in Canada covering the World Cup far away , spend some money and send these guys to the location like the US does every World Cup , Fox has a studio right in Red Square in Moscow , in Brazil in 2014 ABC had a studio right in Rio on the main beach in Rio, but here in Canada every World Cup every four years our TV coverage consist of guys in a studio here in Toronto boring as shit!

But it isn't Fox, so there's a bonus.

Posted (edited)
On 6/24/2018 at 11:52 AM, Tg11 said:

Okay that is all good well I guess it is the spirit of competition in me you know LOL. However, my eyes are glued to Poland/Colombia.

Can a moderator please remove this superfluous post.  Thank you

Edited by SuperCanuck
Something went kakacuckoo