RandomDude_555

Do real Canadian soccer fans have the same contempt toward MLS as Americans do?

You know over 90% of US soccer fans ignore MLS because it's garbage quality and plastic and a #fakeleague. I wonder if Canadians feel the same way, since I heard a lot of people saying the CPL is already better than MLS in how the league is structured, allowing real clubs instead of franchises in a single-entity. 

12 hours ago, RandomDude_555 said:

For Canadians, what's the point of watching MLS when you have over 100 better leagues around the world?

Because it is a professional team based (somewhat) locally with games that you can attend in person.  According to your logic, the Dutch, the Belgians, and apparently now the Italians :) should all turn their backs on their leagues because everyone should be watching the English Premier League, La Liga, or the Bundesliga .  For a Canadian example, junior hockey teams aren't the best teams in the world, but thousands of people show up for their games too.

For whatever reason, a geographical connection to a team matters.

Edited by AvroArrow

And isnt part of the appeal that you might actually see some players that are from your country/region play.  I wish someone would explain this to the MLS clubs, and i sure hope the CPL gets it.  We would like to see a few local kids made good, not a parade of kids from Panama, New Zealand or Honduras.

Being a wacky thread, just want to comment I've seen shirts from Whitecaps, TFC and Impact, twice in my neighbourhood, just this week. And folks don't tend to wear football gear here, so surprising. 

BTW, US fans do not have contempt towards MLS, and attendance figures show huge enthusiasm across NA, apart from problems in some clubs. Also USL numbers are up dramatically as well. There is real passion for following a team.

All MLS has to do is ease up transfer rules so fans of teams around the world can enjoy former MLS players more easily, which is the main foundation of respect for other leagues.