SpecialK

Canada's Future Captain

Canada's future captain   85 members have voted

1. 1. Once Hutchinson and Bernie officially retire, who should be Canada's next Captain

• Scott Arfield
    • Junior Hoilett
    • Milan Borjan
    • David Edgar
    • Marcel de Jong
    • Cyle Larin
    • Nik Ledgerwood
    • Tosaint Ricketts
    • Other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

102 posts in this topic

Arfield is playing at the world's highest level, is relatively experienced and is hitting his prime. Once he gets more caps for us I think he is a no brainer for our captaincy position. Junior is not far behind. 

Floortom and SpecialK like this

1 minute ago, Jith12 said:

Arfield is playing at the world's highest level, is relatively experienced and is hitting his prime. Once he gets more caps for us I think he is a no brainer for our captaincy position. Junior is not far behind. 

I voted for Junior but I agree they're the top two. Thinking Piette is a contender too

Jahinho Guerro likes this

1 minute ago, matty said:

I voted for Junior but I agree they're the top two. Thinking Piette is a contender too

Matty, I totally forgot about piette, I should have put him on the list. Great idea.

my bad

6 minutes ago, matty said:

Piette has future captain potential but needs more experience. Having players like Scott, Atiba and Patrice around will be great for Piette's mentorship. 

Edit: Is it just me or does Piette look older than 22?

Edited by Jith12

2 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

Piette has future captain potential but needs more experience. Having players like Scott, Atiba and Patrice around will be great for Piette's mentorship. 

Edit: Is it just me or does Piette look older than 22?

He looks older

He has a lot of potential and has be a staple of the team for a few years now.

Jith12, ChrisinOrleans and SpecialK like this

2 minutes ago, matty said:

He looks older

He has a lot of potential and has be a staple of the team for a few years now.

Do you think that he will stay at Montreal for the foreseeable future or go back to Europe? He looks good with the Impact (That is a real compliment coming from a TFC fan) but Europe might be better for his development if he is to become an elite player. Opinions?

Bernier will probably retire at the end of the season, which means that either Ciman or Piette will assume the mantle of captain with l'Impact - for better or worse.

Should Piette be given the reigns at Stade Saputo, he should be given the keys to the kingdom at the CanMNT as well. Leaders breed leaders, and right now Piette is literally learning side-by-side with Bernier at the MNT and club level.  

1 minute ago, Jith12 said:

Do you think that he will stay at Montreal for the foreseeable future or go back to Europe? He looks good with the Impact (That is a real compliment coming from a TFC fan) but Europe might be better for his development if he is to become an elite player. Opinions?

My view , he should stay in Montreal, he just left Europe and again my view  hewas going no where in Europe. In Montreal he's starting, he has a key/define role where he can master it and grow his game. In a few years when he's 25-26 ( he's only 22-23 right ? ) he should test the waters of Europe again. 

4 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Bernier will probably retire at the end of the season, which means that either Ciman or Piette will assume the mantle of captain with l'Impact - for better or worse.

Should Piette be given the reigns at Stade Saputo, he should be given the keys to the kingdom at the CanMNT as well. Leaders breed leaders, and right now Piette is literally learning side-by-side with Bernier at the MNT and club level.  

If they are smart, they will sign Piatti and he'll be the next Captain for the impact 

Edited by SpecialK

9 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Bernier is retiring

13 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

If they are smart, they will sign Piatti and he'll be the next Captain for the impact 

Piatti is not a captain. He shirks his defensive responsibility, is not a native to the province of Québec (which matters to many casual fans), and can be downright apathetic on the pitch. He wants to be the centre of attention, and a captain doesn't do that. 

Like, as an example, Bernier had a clear shot against Houston in 2013 (they won the game 5-0, and were already up by 3). Rather than take the shot - that he would have scored - he passed it off to his leading goal scorer, Di Vaio, to bump up his numbers in the chase for the Golden Boot. 

I cannot ever see Piatti doing that, especially since the additional goal was just piling on at that point. To me, that makes him a leader - someone that is willing to forgo their own glory to ensure that what is best for the team is what prevails. 

Agree that they should re-sign him, however. 

Red and White, Grizzly and jpg75 like this

6 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Piatti is not a captain. He shirks his defensive responsibility, is not a native to the province of Québec (which matters to many casual fans)

So why say Ciman then? Wouldn't he cause a similar backlash if the Quebec part is key?

2 minutes ago, matty said:

So why say Ciman then? Wouldn't he cause a similar backlash if the Quebec part is key?

Ciman is an exception, as he is a fan favourite, his wife is a Montréal celebrity on Twitter, and everyone loves him because he came here from Belgium to get Québec's excellent autism program care for his child. TVA Media literally did a giant (and well watched) profile on his family.  

matty likes this

Arfield is an easy choice. Natural leader with top flight experience and will still be in his prime when WCQ begins.

Junior is our most dangerous player but nothing about him screams 'captain'. He wouldn't even be my choice as a stand in. Maybe that'll change as he gets older, but right now I can never see him leading us.

Edited by Obinna
Kent, Ivan and Cheeta like this

45 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Arfield is an easy choice. Natural leader with top flight experience and will still be in his prime when WCQ begins.

Junior is our most dangerous player but nothing about him screams 'captain'. He wouldn't even be my choice as a stand in. Maybe that'll change as he gets older, but right now I can never see him leading us.

I feel during the game jay-R kind of directs the team recently. I might just be seeing something that's not there but it really feels like he is.

12 minutes ago, matty said:

I feel during the game jay-R kind of directs the team recently. I might just be seeing something that's not there but it really feels like he is.

Never noticed that before but I'll pay closer attention next time. 

I should say that I think making junior captain would probably bring the best out of him, give him that extra confidence.

I feel that he is a top level player when he's at full confidence, but when he's not, that's when he becomes frustrating to watch.

Arfield on the other hand is far more consistent and will lead the team whether he's captain or not, he's that sort of character. 

So, I think captaining Hoilett is best for Hoilett. Perhaps that's what he needs, give him the armband to make him feel important. However, if we are looking to just give it to the player who best represents leadership in the team, I feel that has to go to Scotty. That would probably be the best for the team as well. I think he's the closest thing we have to a Michael Bradley in terms of character.

I think the most consistent players make for the best captains.

Edited by Obinna

I love what Hoilett brings to the team, and he has been great for us going forward lately (one of the main reasons we are getting lots of chances) but he still strikes me as moody and potentially high maintenance.  That may not be fair, but it is my impression based on body language (sitting on the ground for 10 seconds after being tackled, etc).  

A captain doesn't have to be your most skilled player - he just has to have the right combo of passion (to drive the boys onward even when things are tough) and coolheadedness (to occasionally calm things down or get them out of a scrum).  Arfield has the former quality, but I am not sure about the latter.  

Of all the options, I am leaning to Piette.  Seems to have a cool head, but is fully committed to the cause.  He may be young, but he seems to play with a lot of maturity - and giving him a lot of responsibility at this stage could set him up to be a leader for years to come.

Questions for everyone.

can Arfield get that same  recognition/popularity as a Sinclair or Dwayne de Rosario. Can and should he be the new face of men's soccer in Canada ? Does him not being born and raised in Canada and his age hurt him in this ? 

Voted other for Piette. Love Arfield and Junior but they came to the program late. Milan was a contender but I normally don't like a Keeper as a Captain. Piette Played at all our youth levels and will be on the team for another 10 years minimum.

ChrisinOrleans likes this

Very tough to say as the captain of the team needs to be the key leader on the team, and while playing at the highest level may be one of the reasons why you would support that player ie.  Arfield,  there are too many unknowns for any of us to give an intelligent answer.  Who has the ear of the players, who works his ass off each and every session, who understands the coaches gameplan and philosophy and can communicate it with the others,...  

I couldn't choose one - I love Arfield's game and if he meets the criteria above I would tell him to take the C until Piette is a little older.

28 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Questions for everyone.

can Arfield get that same  recognition/popularity as a Sinclair or Dwayne de Rosario. Can and should he be the new face of men's soccer in Canada ? Does him not being born and raised in Canada and his age hurt him in this ? 

No (like not a chance in hell) because he's never LIVED here and enter the picture too late. I think only Davies or Larin have the potential to reach Sinclair level popularity of the current MNT list (and Larin took a hit because of the DUI) and that's only if Canada reaches a World Cup

Edited by matty