3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I don't know much about USA players, but for Canada after that lost to El  Salvador I'm questioning that. We all know who are Canada's top guys are and that's not changing any time soon. But guys that are one the fence between starting and sub, that group of players I'm questioning. There are guys out in Europe and South America that haven't been call or they haven't been given a fair shot, so we don't know where they stand. 

Yes it's one game but I think it's a  Conversation that needs to be had and things need to be questioned. Does Canada's men's national team  rely on North American leagues too much? .  Are we ignoring our European talent?  Should we give  others who haven't been called them and chance ? Is Canada picking the right North American players? Are the Canadian North American club players overrated and others are under? . Why are USL guys starting for the national team ? 

I don't know the answer but I'm putting the questions

Not saying that players in Europe should be getting called to friendlies and being included in tournament squads but if they're playing in a "professional" league in Europe of relevance, they should be given a call to a camp. Maybe they are being given calls to the camps and not showing well I have no idea. 

*By European league of relevance I mean like playing in the 1st division in Andorra doesn't really cut it.

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

The best player in the world in 2006 who wasn't called was actually 22 (Eric Staal) . Crosby was okay, but not as good as Staal at the time.

Can't say I agree that staal was ever best but no doubt he was a major omission.  They tried so hard to keep around guys from 02 and 04 instead of bringing in new blood. 

3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Can't say I agree that staal was ever best but no doubt he was a major omission.  They tried so hard to keep around guys from 02 and 04 instead of bringing in new blood. 

Maybe not, but Staal was a much bigger omission than Crosby. He was the leading scorer of the NHL at the time. 

22 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Apologies as I hate to do this but I hate seeing "of" used when it should clearly be "have" even more. To answer your question - after getting the shaft so many times through the 90's and the 2000's, I probably would happily take advancement for Canada on a "goal" like that, but I would still be mortally embarrassed by it, and the reputation jokes among the general sports fans would be annoying (ie. Canada can only get in when they start being awarded "phantom goals", etc.)

Ah yes thanks teacher.... I didn't realize I made that mistake.

Anyways that answer you as well that might happen, but who would know since Canada isn't in that situation. Will see what happens with Panama from now until WC 2018 or even few months after. Will depend on how they do in the tournament as well.

Will be interesting to see what steps the CSA does take from here until 2022 WCQ starts up....

Well they played Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan in June of 2016. And Mauritana a year ago with is around 75-110 so i think that's canada's level tbh, any National Team that are ranked lower than 125, 150, 175, 200, dead last etc

On 2017-10-11 at 3:57 AM, Grizzly said:

The video review may stop clearly wrong decisions such as this but for the most part I have been really disappointed by its use in MLS. Instead of improving the reffing in close to 50% of the cases I have watched the ref actually makes a worse decision than the original one on the field. I guess when you have incompetent refs on the field having the same incompetent ref make the decision on a video recall does not really improve things. One wonders if the situation would be any different with CONCACAF refs.

Agreed. The calls have been no better with review, they just add a bit of delay and make it more maddening when you don't get shown a replay of a call or non-call that you think was wrong.

I didn't like the idea of video review before they brought it in (it's much more satisfying to cheer for a goal, rather than the official confirmation of a goal minutes later) and it has managed to be worse than I thought it would be.

6 minutes ago, Kent said:

Agreed. The calls have been no better with review, they just add a bit of delay and make it more maddening when you don't get shown a replay of a call or non-call that you think was wrong.

I didn't like the idea of video review before they brought it in (it's much more satisfying to cheer for a goal, rather than the official confirmation of a goal minutes later) and it has managed to be worse than I thought it would be.

I am not against video review in principle if it is done correctly. The problem is we get the same terrible ref making the video review decision. In the amazing but true category, Toledo, makes even worse decisions from video than he does live on the pitch. If they are going to have worse decisions based on the video then better to just keep it like before. If they did it more like the NHL, impartial judges who can look at the video right away instead of the ref spending time to leave and re-enter the field it could work. I think the NHL does a pretty good job of getting the calls right, MLS video review has been every bit as bad as MLS reffing in general so far.

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I am not against video review in principle if it is done correctly. The problem is we get the same terrible ref making the video review decision. In the amazing but true category, Toledo, makes even worse decisions from video than he does live on the pitch. If they are going to have worse decisions based on the video then better to just keep it like before. If they did it more like the NHL, impartial judges who can look at the video right away instead of the ref spending time to leave and re-enter the field it could work. I think the NHL does a pretty good job of getting the calls right, MLS video review has been every bit as bad as MLS reffing in general so far.

It could be that the way it is now is a half step in that direction in order to not upset the purists as much by leaving the decision up to the ref for now.

22 hours ago, matty said:

So going back to Zambrano's "litmus test" comment, what do you guys think his and the CSA's "competitive standard" is? Like what do you think the ranking cut off is?

I have no clue, but my thoughts are that CSA should get all their teams to play more games and against anyone. Get more players into programs and create a system that will be Canadian. I really want Canada to just play and ranking should not matter honestly get any team willing to play Canada. For youth teams more tournaments and create a Canadian tournament that invites other international youth teams. With CPL coming and hoping with academies quickly create tournaments for international clubs to bring in their players to play. Heck have ConCaCaf club academies tournament just our region and if bigger go NA/SA tournament held in Canada.... Shoot ConCaCaf prez is from Canada bring it to Canada... More games that's it.

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Think of this for a moment and dream: Canada did qualify for the World Cup 2018 in Russia, who would you bring? If you were OZ what would your 23-man roster look like 

Well it all depends on who performed well in qualifying. Has Larin still been shitting the bed? Has Davies continued to be the anti-Larin? Etc

Edited by canta15

4 hours ago, Mike Thompson said:

Canada Soccer are full of incompetent people, that's the truth 

Some what true, but its seems the CSA have been making good moves recently... Except having two games during FIFA dates that's just annoying not to have two games each chance they get. Yes they can get teams to play just call play a two game series or get a second team. Just get more games in each year. Anyways yes, they've made some horrendous decisions in the past and hopefully things are actually going to change for the better. Maybe CSA get the pay to play out the window and with CPL coming each team will have free academies to hopefully bring out unearth gems that would love to play for Canada. Forget the name of the new Prez for CSA, but has he made any statements about his plans for CSA and overall soccer in Canada?

Edited by Scorpion26

Umm so USA have a game against Portugal next month correct? Mean in while in Canada no game has been set at or I believe the CSA are not going to set up a friendly.... What the heck more games for more players to join CMNT to play games or train with senior team.

12 hours ago, Alejandrogolazo890 said:

#CAPBALLOU&FERREIRA

Even if Canada were to play a November friendly, I'm fairly certain a player cannot be capped in absentia.

52 minutes ago, matty said:

I'm bored....so now that Cristante's gone and our midfield seems kind of a mess for the next little while (assuming certain folks are done) y'all think Wotherspoon will enter the picture?

Would of thought OZ would have called him last friendly so maybe camp poutine perhaps. Will be interesting to see which will get called up for that friendly and maybe we play USA since they're now in the same boat as Canada for WC2018..... Let's hope some Canucks youngsters make the moves towards first team minutes seriously....

22 hours ago, Alejandrogolazo890 said:

I am utterly disappointed myself... I was expecting them to play in the next Did A window date in Nov. Also, part of the plan was to play in every Fifa window date.. That's what Zambrano proposed when he initially was hired and now it seems they are going to be inactive for the latest For A date of the year.... Arrghhh!!!... Wish I could reference that article where Zambrano proposed this and now this promise, for this Fifa date is in jeopardy.... Any idea when the first Fifa date would be next year as it is a WC year?... I really hope CANMNT is in action by the first FIFA date in 2018, particularly if they don't play in Nov. as this is becoming more & more unlikely... Hopefully we schedule something with a Conmebol nation (Perr-rru or Chile are of interest or any other one in fact, but played in Canada and I'm gonna be selfish, but in Toronto... I'll be down in no time, no matter the opponent.. 

#CAPBALLOU&FERREIRA... Spread the hashtag folks.... It'd be cool if we can send a proposal to CSA to schedule a friendly next month 

Gonna say something here but can we all stop with the play in Canada stuff. We're good at home and pretty alright on neutral grounds, what we need is a team that can compete in Central America (or any mainland Latin nation) and some parts of the Caribbean. As crazy as it is, after the Jamaica game (which only beats it because of how high profile it was in the end), the friendly against Bermuda was likely the overall most ideal friendly Canada has played this year in terms of developing this team because it was a road game against a CONCACAF rival, which are what we need and hopefully will be getting a lot more of.

I'm not saying we should stick to road games as money wise hosting makes bank when done right and it helps build the teams home profile, but a decent balance of half here and half away should be how we go about things, this year's 2 home 2 in non-neutral was a pretty good start (you could say we did 3 non-neutrals if you count the Qatar U23 game Zambrano headed).

Hopefully we use Camp Poutine 2018 and maybe the March window against a TnT or Guatamala or even a China or Mozambique on their turf before returning home for May and June games.

Edited by matty

33 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

I'm actually wondering which Canadian players will get the CGA contract?

Anyone have clue which play would get it this coming draft and other Collegiate soccer players possibly coming out for next year. 

It's a pretty slim year for NCAA Canadians from the players I've followed. Aymar Sigue and Kamal Miller are the only players who are likely to be drafted, and I'm fairly sure the Caps have Sigue's rights. Dayne St. Clair is the starting GK for a top 5 NCAA team, but he'll likely to spend another year or two at Maryland.

The Canadian GAs will probably come from L1O or USL/NASL.

Edited by harrycoyster