Well Canada has put out the called players and wow Elva is there...

Will be interesting to see who starts and who gets to play overall. 

What would of been nice is having a second game to switch up starters.... 

Second game will be great for all FIFA friendlies seriously the CSA/OZ should get that going.....

On September 29, 2017 at 7:29 AM, BuzzAndSting said:

Did you call the administrative office in Ottawa?

Yes, 0/5 would not recommend :lol: lol 

Was that good of me to do? Or should I have called the technical office instead to get that information 

13 minutes ago, Mike Thompson said:

Yes, 0/5 would not recommend :lol: lol 

Was that good of me to do? Or should I have called the technical office instead to get that information 

The administrative office would not have information like that readily at hand, especially not the poor person answering the phone. You could try the technical office but again, the person answering the phones would probably not have that information and would be reluctant to make a habit of putting anyone who calls in touch with those who do. The rosters are released at about the same time every camp but as the CSA has explained before, there's always issues with player status and clubs which can sometime delay things. 

15 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

With Elva being called up.... 

Any other youngsters who've yet been called in to play CMNT should be considered in the future? 

Does this include players who have been called up in ththe last 12 months or brand new? 

17 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

With Elva being called up.... 

Any other youngsters who've yet been called in to play CMNT should be considered in the future? 

I've heard positives about Stanese (never seen him though) 

OZ plans of finding players...

Well let's hope CSA give him the okay to go with this plan. This will surely help CMNT improve in the future, but also bring in more youth to the program to grow and join CMNT in the future. Also to be proud to be with this program. Obviously the CSA have made some positive moves recently and CPL is the big move needed to succeed. CSA will have to invest and promote even more to improve both Women and Men program from all levels.... This is something to watch and see how they morph CSA into well running engine. 

I just wanna say I am extremely happy that Costa Rica got a result against Honduras. The added time goal made it extra satisfying to watch. Ironic how the coach claimed that "the refs are against them". Karma is a real bitch

11 minutes ago, Thomas said:

I want to hear everyone's opinion on this: If you were the president of CSA, what would be the first thing you would do/change? 

Probably firing Paul Stalteri. Bigger picture? Find the funds to get our youth teams into some of the bigger international friendly tournaments or create one ourselves (like the US did with the Nike tournament). The Mexican and American u15s and u17s play in 3-4 tournaments a year while our kids get the CONCACAF Championships every 2 years and the odd friendly. 

Edited by harrycoyster

15 hours ago, Big_M said:

Cristante is no playmaker. Arfield is our best playmaker and has started there in the premier league

Regardless, we need someone to fill that spot and make more happen in the service department.  We need more than just Arfield out there making his contribution.

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

I want to hear everyone's opinion on this: If you were the president of CSA, what would be the first thing you would do/change? 

Require all 3 Canadian MLS teams to have 4 CanMNT eligible players on the field at all times and to have NWSL programs within 3 years with the same roster rules. Those would be my very first move.

Edited by matty

2 hours ago, matty said:

Require all 3 Canadian MLS teams to have 4 CanMNT eligible players on the field at all times and to have NWSL programs within 3 years with the same roster rules. Those would be my very first move.

Yeah, I don't know the specific approach that would yield the best results (though I like your suggestion)  but having the CSA develop greater testicular fortitude when it comes to our MLS teams is moving in the right direction.  It may be a USSF league but we have levers at our disposal that we aren't using.  And the business model is mature enough and successful enough that we wouldn't cripple them by requiring increased Canadian content at this point. 

3 hours ago, matty said:

So you want the teams to lose?

3 minutes ago, canta15 said:

So you want the teams to lose?

I will flip it around a bit.  Recognizing that there is some development of Canadian players occurring at TFC, is winning the league on the backs of 2 Americans and an Italian what success looks like for Canadian pro soccer?  I am not sure that is the end game - and if it is not, I am not sure the status quo will get us there.  

21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I will flip it around a bit.  Recognizing that there is some development of Canadian players occurring at TFC, is winning the league on the backs of 2 Americans and an Italian what success looks like for Canadian pro soccer?  I am not sure that is the end game - and if it is not, I am not sure the status quo will get us there.  

You could make the argument that the early 2000s Raptors, who didn't have a lot of CanCon, caused a lot of kids (including Andrew Wiggins, Cory Joseph and Tristan Thompson) to take basketball seriously but then again you can't compare TFC to the early 2000s Raptors in terms of popularity. Giovinco isn't on that Vince Carter level of popularity.

3 hours ago, matty said:

That would more or less ensure that no CMNT player would ever move to Europe in the next ten years...they'd be way to valuable to the Canadian MLS teams. Arfield, Hutch, Hoilett and Cavallini would be in MLS within a season.

There are only a few Canadians starting in MLS because we aren't regularly producing MLS level players yet, not because there are MLS ready Canadians not being given minutes. Strengthening our program needs to focus on changing the preparation on the pathway not forcing players to the destination.

Just now, harrycoyster said:

That would more or less ensure that no CMNT player would ever move to Europe in the next ten years...they'd be way to valuable to the Canadian MLS teams. Arfield, Hutch, Hoilett and Cavallini would be in MLS within a season.

I highly disagree, I think it would allow the cream to really rise to the top in terms of moving to Europe and possibly cause a Canadian to enter a franchise player role if his MLS team wants to play him DP levels of money which could be very go PR for the CanMNT. It just means less Canadians will be released and have to sign in Finland or Scotland 2. On top of that the CPL will already decrease the number of Canadians in Europe when it starts.

6 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

There are only a few Canadians starting in MLS because we aren't regularly producing MLS level players yet, not because there are MLS ready Canadians not being given minutes. Strengthening our program needs to focus on changing the preparation on the pathway not forcing players to the destination.

We're getting to the point where we are producing solid MLS level guys (I'd say each team right now has 2-4 guys) and if the up and comers don't get a chance in MLS they might never reach that level successfully.