Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Gian-Luca

2017 Gold Cup Opponents

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

I didn't realize the top three moved on. Thought it was top two. It is still a tough group but not advancing would be a certainly be a major disappointment. All the team's are beatable. 

I think its top 2 plus the two best 3rd place finishers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

They have one aging French great player playing in India and one backup striker for a mid table Ligue 1 team, a few Ligue 2 players and then a bunch of lower division guys.

It would be an interesting match up of their journeymen attackers vs our journeymen back line players.  But really, we should be able to put these guys to the sword.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Grizzly said:

On what basis are you rating them better than Curacao? They have one aging French great player playing in India and one backup striker for a mid table Ligue 1 team, a few Ligue 2 players and then a bunch of lower division guys. Curacao seems to have a better team with more guys playing on decent clubs in good leagues and less lower division players. We certainly shouldn't take them lightly as there are a few good players and given our history of losing to minnows but we should not overestimate the quality of this team either.

If I use the Elo Rankings. Curacao have 132 points less than French Guiana. Plus French Guiana has made the 2015 Gold Cup Playoffs but had to beat Honduras over 2 legs and it was close (4-3 on aggregate including a 3-1 win at home). 

Curacao hasn't gotten as impressive results over the past 4 years than French Guiana and I think that's why I think French Guiana is better than Curacao. 

Just look at their 2017 Gold Cup qualifying routes.

Çuraçao: Wins: Dominican Republic, @ Guyana , US Virgin Islands, Antigua and Barbuda @Puerto Rico (though it was after extra time) 
Loss: @ Barbados

French Guiana: Wins: Cuba Bermuda @ Haiti  St Kitts
Loss @ Bermuda @Dominican Republic

I look at who Curaçao has beaten and the only impressive win is their win @Guyana. French Guiana beat Haiti 5-2 at Sylvio Cator, I'm expecting them to be better because they have just been better over the past 4 years in Gold Cup qualifying. I think it's just because French Guiana have gotten key results against good opposition and Curaçao hasn't except their WCQ win over Cuba. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blackdude said:

If I use the Elo Rankings. Curacao have 132 points less than French Guiana. Plus French Guiana has made the 2015 Gold Cup Playoffs but had to beat Honduras over 2 legs and it was close (4-3 on aggregate including a 3-1 win at home). 

Curacao hasn't gotten as impressive results over the past 4 years than French Guiana and I think that's why I think French Guiana is better than Curacao. 

Just look at their 2017 Gold Cup qualifying routes.

Çuraçao: Wins: Dominican Republic, @ Guyana , US Virgin Islands, Antigua and Barbuda @Puerto Rico (though it was after extra time) 
Loss: @ Barbados

French Guiana: Wins: Cuba Bermuda @ Haiti  St Kitts
Loss @ Bermuda @Dominican Republic

I look at who Curaçao has beaten and the only impressive win is their win @Guyana. French Guiana beat Haiti 5-2 at Sylvio Cator, I'm expecting them to be better because they have just been better over the past 4 years in Gold Cup qualifying. I think it's just because French Guiana have gotten key results against good opposition and Curaçao hasn't except their WCQ win over Cuba. 

 

3 hours ago, One American said:

I think the big thing is that they appear to have a striker that can produce. Not a lot of them in CONCACAF. 

The question is which players were playing in many of these matches in the past since it seems these teams only call up their European players sometimes. When I look at the lineups on paper it seems to me that Curacao is the better team but yes these past results are a valid justification for favouring French Guiana. And that is a good point that possibly the best player on French Guiana is their striker and while he has only played 2 games for them he has scored 5 goals, 2 of which were against Honduras.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-6-18 at 2:23 AM, harrycoyster said:

I don't understand why people are saying we probably won't get out of the group stage. 3 points advances a majority of the time, 4 points guarantees advancing. There's no way our expected points for FG, Honduras, Costa Rica isn't between 3 and 5.

We SHOULD advance.

2015: We beat Jamaica handily in our recent friendly, are better than El Salvador, and play Costa Rica at home. We SHOULD advance.

2013: Martinique should be 3 points for us and that could get us to advance alone. The game against Panama gives us a chance to seal it with 4 points. We SHOULD advance.

2011: Guadeloupe should be 3 points for us and that could get us to advance alone. The game against Panama gives us a chance to seal it with 4 points. We SHOULD advance. (Note: This year we got 4 points in the group, but unfortunately getting 4 points does NOT guarantee advancing, as you have noted in other posts).

Summary: Some people are saying we probably won't get out of the group stage because they are used to getting disappointed by this team. I find it hard to make predictions for CMNT, and I definitely find it hard to assume we will score goals aside from the minnowest of minnows. No Gold Cup includes those minnows I am thinking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2017 at 10:03 AM, Addona said:

Yes, but the point is that it is really close. I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with 4 points but I also wouldn't be surprised if we got 2 points and went out in the group stage.

Exactly right!

Edited by dsqpr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kent said:

 (Note: This year we got 4 points in the group, but unfortunately getting 4 points does NOT guarantee advancing, as you have noted in other posts).

 

Of course we're the only team to have not made it through with 4 points since they've added that the best 2 third place teams make it through.. And of course it was du to a 90+ goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't effect our group stage, but Roman Torres (who is arguably Panama's best player) announced he will not play in the Gold Cup to limit his game time ahead of the September World Cup qualifiers. It now appears T&T and Honduras are the only teams in the Hex that are bringing A teams to the Gold Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kusch to the Corner said:

So we should expect to have a very competitive game with them.

 

Jamaica only called in 2 of their 9 MLS players (no Lawrence, Andre Blake, Watson, Barnes, Powell, etc.) and FG played at full strength. So this game tells us that FG is about as good as Jamaica's B team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

French Guiena just lost 2-1 in a shootout to Jamaica in the semi-finals of the Caribbean Cup.

We seem to spend a lot of time on here stressing about the opposition. I hope our players don't do that. It isn't healthy. For them or us.

Embrace the challenge. FG should be a lot more scared of us than we should be of them.

Edited by dsqpr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Jamaica only called in 2 of their 9 MLS players (no Lawrence, Andre Blake, Watson, Barnes, Powell, etc.) and FG played at full strength. So this game tells us that FG is about as good as Jamaica's B team. 

I'm a say it before one of the regular pessimists say it "But we should not take this team lightly". Obviously we shouldn't but I'm still predicitong we win this game by 2 goals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I'm a say it before one of the regular pessimists say it "But we should not take this team lightly". Obviously we shouldn't but I'm still predicitong we win this game by 2 goals

At least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canta15 said:

I'm a say it before one of the regular pessimists say it "But we should not take this team lightly". Obviously we shouldn't but I'm still predicitong we win this game by 2 goals

Should we take them lightly? No. Should we expect to beat a team that just lost to Jamaica's B team? Yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

French Guiana lost to Jamaica 2-1 in penalties in the semi finals of the Caribbean Cup. However Jamaica was fielding a pretty weak team I'm pretty sure. F-G will play Martinique (lost 2-1 to Curacao) for third place while Curacao will evidently play Jamaica in the finals, both games are today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2017 at 7:36 AM, canta15 said:

I'm a say it before one of the regular pessimists say it "But we should not take this team lightly". Obviously we shouldn't but I'm still predicitong we win this game by 2 goals

I think I would be considered a mild optimist around these parts, but even I wouldn't make such a prediction with confidence. We narrowly defeated Curacao at home by 1 goal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm done predicting games for Canada. Especially at tournaments. I just want a goal. I don't care if we lose 5-1 to French Guiana. If we score a goal then at least we can stop saying that the last goal we scored in a GC was in 2011.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will need a new television for game two if the final of the game against French Guiana is 5-1 for them.

I know I am a newbie to this site but feel confident after watching us dominated Curacao for most of that game and reading the results above that we will win game one and be competitive in the other two, stealing a point and advancing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

I will need a new television for game two if the final of the game against French Guiana is 5-1 for them.

I know I am a newbie to this site but feel confident after watching us dominated Curacao for most of that game and reading the results above that we will win game one and be competitive in the other two, stealing a point and advancing.

You ARE new here, aren't you ...  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×