1. 1. Should the CanPL have Pro/Rel?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should the CanPL have playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

Posted (edited)
On 7/16/2018 at 12:09 PM, Cheeta said:

^ Absolutely, perfectly put.  Start 6 Canadians.  Finish with 3, finish with 9, whatever.

I have no problem with that. They didn't say 6 Canadians at all time. You still create that inner competitions (Can vs. Can - Can vs. Foreigners).

Let's look at the positives.  The wording of CPL (if true) is incredibly clever. They are allowing more internationals on rosters than MLS but putting the emphasis on starting 6 Canadians and half the roster being Canadians overshadows that teams will be allowed to sign up to 11-12 internationals. Good CONCACAF internationals can be found in the Caribbean and Central America at a reasonable price as that region tends not to be the focus of top leagues.

All and all, I'm liking what we're seeing so far.

As I said earlier, my family are from Central America and if anyone thinks that a great young prospect would say no to Canada and a 85k+ salary, you guys have no clue about the reality of theses parts. Most of them will absolutely jump at the opportunity.

Edited by Ansem

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

What is the rationale behind that? Is there a Canadian football equivalent of the voyageurs out there?  

I believe it's so that the Canadians on the team aren't just relegated to holding clipboards and doing special teams. They are valuable members of each team. If you look at the East and West All-star teams each year, there are a significant amount of canadians represented on that. The Canadians are a huge part of the draw in the CFL. The CFL has effectively found a great balance between quality of play and Canadian representation. They only need to do something about the quarterback position as it's the one position that is left off the ratio.

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

What is the rationale behind that? Is there a Canadian football equivalent of the voyageurs out there?  

The rationale is that a Canadian football (pointy-ball) league would almost certainly not exist without a Canadian quota, and the sport at lower levels would be critically weakened.

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

I have no problem with that. They didn't say 6 Canadians at all time. You still create that inner competitions (Can vs. Can - Can vs. Foreigners).

Let's look at the positives.  The wording of CPL (if true) is incredibly clever. They are allowing more internationals on rosters than MLS but putting the emphasis on starting 6 Canadians and half the roster being Canadians overshadows that teams will be allowed to sign up to 11-12 internationals. Good CONCACAF internationals can be found in the Caribbean and Central America at a reasonable price as that region tends not to be the focus of top leagues.

All and all, I'm liking what we're seeing so far.

As I said earlier, my family are from Central America and if anyone thinks that a great young prospect would say no to Canada and a 85k+ salary, you guys have no clue about the reality of theses parts. Most of them will absolutely jump at the opportunity.

To add to this, the 6 mandatory Canadians starting is to avoid this

I didn’t see the source but from what I’m reading here it’s at least 50% Canadian players with 6 Canadian starters.

I think that strikes a good balance between level of play and performance on the field.

This also gives us a chance to be legitimately better than USL next year as I think we will be able to be drawing a better overall foreign content quality than the USL brings and the Canadian starting level content will be USL or higher as well.  I’m still thinking Ottawa level or higher for next year as a baseline.

That’s going to give us a very good level to watch on the field.  

48+ Canadian starters next year really fills in the depth for the men’s national team as well.  Combined with what will be the remain quality Europe players and MLS players we will have solid pool of players playing regularly going forward and it will only get better from here.

Posted (edited)

One other thing for player pool that’s just as important.  The next man up.

On paper if every single player for us has been available I think we had the 3rd best Concacaf team in 2014 and 2018.  The problem is we haven’t had the depth behind our starters that any missing player was catastrophic for us.

For example in 2014 had Josh Simpson and DeRosario not been hurt and Occean not gotten a red card we would have qualified.  We probably could have sustained 1 of those but 2 and our chances were on life support and all 3 we got completely rolled.

I think at any time the 100+ or so Canadian CPL players will give us maybe 5-8 players in a game for the CMNT.  Literally the top 5% of the CPL rosters will make the national team.

But if there is an injury the drop off won’t be as severe because there will be another 10-15 players playing and in form right behind them ready and waiting for the call.  We haven’t had those mid level player depth before which is why there’s always been several Unattached FC players on our roster.  That ends starting next year and our results will show it.

There’s never been a time where we have been able to call on that level of depth since the old NASL died.

Thats going to be the next thing for us that will move us up the ranks to a top 50 team consistently and propel us to the 3-5th best CONCACAF team permanently. 

Edited by baulderdash77

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ansem said:

As I've said elsewhere, MLS doesn't care about domestic player quotas on either side of the border.

EDIT: It wasn't elsewhere. It was the last page of this thread. 😂

Edited by RS

17 hours ago, LAK said:

There are a required number of Canadian starters in the CFL and a minimum amount that have to be on the field  at any given time.

Don’t think you are correct:

CFL roster sizes are 46 players (rather than 53 as in the NFL, though only 45 will dress for a game). A CFL team may dress up to 44 players comprising 21 non-imports (essentially, Canadians), 20 imports (almost exclusively Americans), and 3 quarterbacks

From CFL roster rules:

Of the 24 starters on a team, a minimum of seven starters will be nationals players. When applied to a starting roster of a team it breaks down as follows (when using the minimum number of national players):

• 1 QB
  • 16 international players
  • 7 starting national players

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, An Observer said:

Don’t think you are correct:

CFL roster sizes are 46 players (rather than 53 as in the NFL, though only 45 will dress for a game). A CFL team may dress up to 44 players comprising 21 non-imports (essentially, Canadians), 20 imports (almost exclusively Americans), and 3 quarterbacks

all above is true. Also...7 starters must be Canadian. That number can be a combination of 4 on defense and 3 on offense or whatever...BUT...often times the roster must be juggled if there are injuries etc. to maintain that number.

edit: Sorry I didn't see that it was addressed above.

Edited by LAK

4 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

The biggest difference with the CFL is you can rotate players in and out as much as you want based on formations etc, so having 7 Canadian starters is not quite the same as it would be in the CPL where you have 3 subs. The overall quota is more comparable. 

From CFL roster rules:

Of the 24 starters on a team, a minimum of seven starters will be nationals players. When applied to a starting roster of a team it breaks down as follows (when using the minimum number of national players):

• 1 QB

4 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

From CFL roster rules:

• 1 QB

The biggest difference with the CFL is you can rotate players in and out as much as you want based on formations etc, so having 7 Canadian starters is not quite the same as it would be in the CPL where you have 3 subs. The overall quota is more comparable. 

20 hours ago, Ansem said:

Just partly. A large reason the number is down so much is that foreign born players can turn into domestic players as soon as they get their green card. And we have seen that process take as little as 12 months. If you have a foreign born player taking up a domestic spot, you don't need as many US born players to fill those spots.

Also, MLS has increased the number of international roster spots with expansion of the league. So 2006 to now isn't really apples to apples.

This is definitely something the USSF should be worried about though.

19 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GregMcIsaac/status/1019382020449894401

Interesting tweet from McIsaac, nothing directly related to CPL but it's interesting that he's been talking with DAZN

Not 100% he's still with the league though. I think he's a consultant so it might have been a temporary gig

He is still working the the CPL (here's him listed on the Hamilton press release http://canpl.ca/article/forge-fc-unveiled-as-hamiltons-canadian-premier-league-club). He's also working with beIN.

Good article from the Athletic 

https://theathletic.com/434047/2018/07/18/making-the-pitch-a-new-league-and-a-new-hope-for-young-canadian-soccer-players/

Brief gist, don't want to break their payment model:

-Use of Telfer to illustrate untapped talent lying around because there's only a handful of clubs to seek it out

- Easton talking about the expected benefits for the national team/2026

- Used history of a half dozen underperforming nations after they launched their own leagues as a model of what to hope for post-cpl

- "It is believed teams will operate under a $2-million salary cap."

- DeVos' views on CPL's impact