lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

8 hours ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

Quebec City is a must 

Agreed 100%. 

Speaking purely on the idea of a 'national' league, by Canadians, for Canadians; which is the hallmark of this entire exercise in the first place: Québec must have a team. 

While Franco-Ontarians and Acadians compose significant populations in cities like Ottawa and Moncton, neither of those two cities have cofirmed that they're even interested in the CanPL. If the league is to be truly 'national', and not the Anglo-Canadian premier league, a team in Québec needs to be included to get French language media and fans on board. 

I'd also like to point out that the Ottawa Fury do a decent job of promoting French language material for the Francophone population of Ottawa, and their supporters groups (The Bytown Boys and Stony Monday Riot) all put out French language material as well. The ByTown boys fly the Franco-Ontarian flag at every game. That type of mentality and acceptance of our linguistic duality needs to be present at all games. Yes, even out west. Winnipeg has a big Francophone population too (St. Boniface and St. Norbert). 

3 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Agreed 100%. 

Speaking purely on the idea of a 'national' league, by Canadians, for Canadians; which is the hallmark of this entire exercise in the first place: Québec must have a team. 

While Franco-Ontarians and Acadians compose significant populations in cities like Ottawa and Moncton, neither of those two cities have cofirmed that they're even interested in the CanPL. If the league is to be truly 'national', and not the Anglo-Canadian premier league, a team in Québec needs to be included to get French language media and fans on board. 

I'd also like to point out that the Ottawa Fury do a decent job of promoting French language material for the Francophone population of Ottawa, and their supporters groups (The Bytown Boys and Stony Monday Riot) all put out French language material as well. The ByTown boys fly the Franco-Ontarian flag at every game. That type of mentality and acceptance of our linguistic duality needs to be present at all games. Yes, even out west. Winnipeg has a big Francophone population too (St. Boniface and St. Norbert). 

I'm sorry, but I really feel like it should be the people involved with each club, that should decide their identity. Uniqueness should be celebrated. Yes, I think the league needs Quebec City, and overall investment from the Francophone community. That's a huge part of our county. But if Surrey decides to report their games in Punjabi, instead of French, I certainly wouldn't feel like it was a slight to anyone.  The league should do whatever they can to incorporate the different communities across the country, but it's up to those communities to support that team, and decide their identity.

9 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I'm sorry, but I really feel like it should be the people involved with each club, that should decide their identity. Uniqueness should be celebrated. Yes, I think the league needs Quebec City, and overall investment from the Francophone community. That's a huge part of our county. But if Surrey decides to report their games in Punjabi, instead of French, I certainly wouldn't feel like it was a slight to anyone.  The league should do whatever they can to incorporate the different communities across the country, but it's up to those communities to support that team, and decide their identity.

Neither would I. On principle, I would actually encourage broader access.  

However, I think we're talking about two different things here. I believe the league should be officially bilingual, and that a media deal should have all games available in both languages for streaming; realizing that individual clubs may go above and beyond (IE, Punjabi in Surrey, or Chiac in Moncton).

3 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Neither would I. On principle, I would actually encourage broader access.  

However, I think we're talking about two different things here. I believe the league should be officially bilingual, and that a media deal should have all games available in both languages for streaming; realizing that individual clubs may go above and beyond (IE, Punjabi in Surrey, or Chiac in Moncton).

Sure, that's a beautiful thought. Do you think there's a market for Surrey vs Edmonton amongst French speaking people in this country?

21 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Sure, that's a beautiful thought. Do you think there's a market for Surrey vs Edmonton amongst French speaking people in this country?

Francophones from Sudbury to Québec to Moncton watch NHL games (and even some CFL) in French, featuring teams from all over. I'd say that if the product is worth watching, then yes, especially if their team is involved in the league more generally, or in a play-off scenario or championship. 

I like that you're optimistic about Edmonton joining CanPL as well. :) 

9 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Ottawa is going to be a key market for the league to be in, Moncton maybe not so much, but it sould be noted that interest from the city is there, it was there early and there are articles about it. 

18 minutes ago, BradMack said:

Ottawa is going to be a key market for the league to be in, Moncton maybe not so much, but it sould be noted that interest from the city is there, it was there early and there are articles about it. 

That was mostly about the head of NB soccer wanting a team in Moncton. No actual group has been identified as potential owners.

12 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Francophones from Sudbury to Québec to Moncton watch NHL games (and even some CFL) in French, featuring teams from all over. I'd say that if the product is worth watching, then yes, especially if their team is involved in the league more generally, or in a play-off scenario or championship. 

I like that you're optimistic about Edmonton joining CanPL as well. :) 

I hope you're right! It would be great if this league garnered that level of attention. MLS can be so bland at times because fans and media alike seem to lack basic knowledge of the other teams in the league. Even most managers seem to rarely vary their tactics for specific opposition. Or maybe I've just been watching Vancouver for too long.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Quebec City is needed, but they need their own SSS. Also, they are crucial to get investors interested in bringing CPL in Montreal. Quebec City vs Montreal transcends sports and those would be guaranteed sellouts.

Why do they need their own SSS, but Ottawa, Saskatchewan, Winnipeg and Hamilton do not? Given the financial constraints on the CanPL at launch, I don't think anywhere *needs* an SSS. 

Why do they need their own SSS, but Ottawa, Saskatchewan, Winnipeg and Hamilton do not?

The Quebec Peps is really sub-par compared to the CFL stadiums

Given the financial constraints on the CanPL at launch, I don't think anywhere *needs* an SSS. 

Not even a temporary stadium like Saskatoon is doing?

On 11/14/2017 at 12:41 PM, Ansem said:

The Quebec Peps is really sub-par compared to the CFL stadiums

Not even a temporary stadium like Saskatoon is doing?

Sure, I'll concede that. However, if we're going to talk about the adequacy of stadiums for large events, and assume that CanPL will bring near-capacity soccer crowds, then sure. I'll concede that Stade Telus at only 12,000 seats is relatively unimpressive when compared to say, Place TD in Ottawa, which is brand new and seats 24,000. However, since the CanPL is targeting an audience of around 5,000 per game (which Ottawa attracts in an urban area of around 930,000), then these stadiums are simply over-sized and too cost prohibitive to maintain. In that case, a modular stadium like that of Halifax or Saskatoon would be ideal. 

I'm more concerned with financial stability and solvency than I am with the amenities of the locale. I merely want the league to succeed. We'll talk about new stadiums when each of the 6 - 10 teams are clearly drawing 5,000 spectators regularly.