Sign in to follow this  
Dub Narcotic

Jimmy Shammar-Sanon

Sanon becomes fourth player added to Fury FC via part partnership with the Montreal Impact

Jimmy-Shammar Sanon celebrating after a goal by yelling and holding his fist closed

Photo: Montreal Impact

The latest signing by Fury FC has brought in an exciting addition to their roster for the 2017 campaign as the club has announced the addition of 20-year-old Canadian-born midfielder Jimmy-Shammar Sanon, Thursday, pending league and federation approval.

The 5-foot-7 midfielder was with the Montreal Impact Academy since 2012, before making his professional debut in the second part of the 2016 USL campaign with FC Montreal.

He played just five games for the squad, but a highlight-reel goal against the Charleston Battery boosted his status in the league and edged him past FC Cincinnati’s Eric Stevenson in the final vote for the 2016 USL Goal of the Year.

“Jimmy is a young exciting talent with blistering pace,” said Paul Dalglish, head coach and GM for Fury FC. “He won goal of the year in the USL last year so he definitely has that ability to do something different. He’s young so he’s going to come here and compete for minutes with our guys and hopefully he’ll fulfill his potential with us.”

After playing for Canada at the U18 level in 2014, the Canadian-born Haitian was called up by Haiti for their U-20 team in October 2016 to compete in the 2017 CONCACAF U-20 Championship qualifying tournament. Sanon helped his team win the tournament, scoring a goal against Cuba in a 2-1 win.

Player Bio
Name: Jimmy-Shammar Sanon
Position: Midfielder
Pronunciation: Sah-no
Age (DOB): 20 (1-24/97)
Height: 5-7
Weight: 135 pounds
Place of Birth: Montréal, QC
2016 Club: FC Montréal

Is called-up for the Francophone games. I think it's fair to say his allegiance is unclear at least and Canada-leaning at best. 

Edit: wiki has him also listed on the Haiti squad (as an unattached player noticeably). Now I'm confused.  

double edit: I have to go on the info from the Impact here and say that he's on the Canadian team. Interestingly they play Haiti on July 26th. I guess we'll be sure then.

Edited by shamrock

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Just as a completely off-topic aside, is he any good?

I think so - he's got good pace and a good football IQ for a USL player. Often comes in at the 70th minute for the Fury. I like him. I think he has Ricketts level potential at least.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

8 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Just as a completely off-topic aside, is he any good?

He's very quick and can really strike a ball, but needs to work on his touch and lacks consistency in his passing and crossing. He's also pretty scrawny for a 20 year-old and sometimes has difficulty beating defenders and shielding the ball as a result.

He has great potential and I agree he could definitely evolve into a Ricketts-type winger/supporting striker in the future. He could potentially be good enough to play for Canada, but it's not a certainty.

He should probably wait before committing or using his one-time switch; the CPL should give him a great chance to prove himself as he develops going forward (assuming Montreal doesn't sign him), but he stands a good chance of being a valuable player for Haiti, while it's possible he might have a very limited international career if he commits to Canada given the competition at LW.

Edited by Zem

13 hours ago, shamrock said:

Is called-up for the Francophone games. I think it's fair to say his allegiance is unclear at least and Canada-leaning at best. 

Edit: wiki has him also listed on the Haiti squad (as an unattached player noticeably). Now I'm confused.  

double edit: I have to go on the info from the Impact here and say that he's on the Canadian team. Interestingly they play Haiti on July 26th. I guess we'll be sure then.

He'll play a half for both teams just to fuck with our heads

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

^ In the past year they took a 5-2 from french guiana and 3-0 from nicaragua..48 in the world..hilarious..don't look at fifa rankings to judge a team

I can't understand it either.. perfect example of how weak FIFA rankings are.  They are 89 in elo rankings, which is probably still generous based on their form.