CanadianSoccerFan

CONCACAF Nations League

48 minutes ago, matty said:

They sure need to learn how to win in Latin America....just like us!

Winning all of their home games would be a heck of a lot more important for them and us.

following the UEFA model, we'd be 1st tier assuming they split all nations in 4 groups

Example:
41 members
Ranking : http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/concacaf.html

League A
Mexico, Costa Rica, United States, Haiti, Panama, Jamaica, Honduras, Curacao, Canada, El Salvador

League B
Trinidad & Tobago, Nicaragua, Suriname, St.Kitts and Nevis, Antigua and Barbuda, Guatemala, Guyana, Grenada, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico

League C
Belize, Barbados, Dominica, St.Vincent and the Grenadines, St.Lucia, Aruba, Cuba, Bermuda, U.S Virgin Islands, Montserrat

League D
Turks and Caicos Islands, Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands, Bahamas, Anguilla,  (Martinique, French Guyana, Guadeloupe, St.Martin, Sint.Maarten, Bonaire no ranking in FIFA)

Edited by Ansem

So the FIFA World League proposal will be for the "big" nations (Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, USA, Japan, Australia, ...), I'm guessing? 

Any thoughts on how FIFA World League proposal affects CONCACAF Nations League?

1. Puts any Nations League planning/implementation on hold while World League proposal is fleshed out
  2. Nations League top tier becomes qualifier for World League
  3. Nations League top tier IS a division of World League
  4. Nations League concept is abandoned?
  5. No effect.  World League and Nations League are independent.

38 minutes ago, ray said:

So the FIFA World League proposal will be for the "big" nations (Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, USA, Japan, Australia, ...), I'm guessing? 

Any thoughts on how FIFA World League proposal affects CONCACAF Nations League?

1. Puts any Nations League planning/implementation on hold while World League proposal is fleshed out
  2. Nations League top tier becomes qualifier for World League
  3. Nations League top tier IS a division of World League
  4. Nations League concept is abandoned?
  5. No effect.  World League and Nations League are independent.

I like the idea of this where we play in the Nations League top tier w/o US and Mexico who will hopefully be in the World League. Then we could qualify for the World League for the next edition if we do well in the CONCACAF version.

I'm really not a fan of the "World League" idea at all mainly because it's dumb as fuck. Creating hundreds of thousands of dollars in travel costs for Montserrat, Anguilla, Brunei and Kyrgyzstan will not help build those nations' programs.

Unless FIFA is gonna cover these costs, Keep it regional you dumb fucks!

5 minutes ago, matty said:

I'm really not a fan of the "World League" idea at all mainly because it's dumb as fuck. Creating hundreds of thousands of dollars in travel costs for Montserrat, Anguilla, Brunei and Kyrgyzstan will not help build those nations' programs.

Unless FIFA is gonna cover these costs, Keep it regional you dumb fucks!

I'm not a fan of "World League" either but am assuming it would be created in part as a replacement for the Brazil/France, USA/Portugal type friendlies.  So it would be for the "big" teams.  Canada, (and Montserrat, Anguilla, Brunei and Kyrgyzstan) need not apply.

Just now, ray said:

I'm not a fan of "World League" either but am assuming it would be created in part as a replacement for the Brazil/France, USA/Portugal type friendlies.  So it would be for the "big" teams.  Canada, (and Montserrat, Anguilla, Brunei and Kyrgyzstan) need not apply.

The several tiers implies that smaller nations will end up playing in it too and excluding the small nations fucks them cause they're why CONCACAF was exploring a league.

Even if they're not in this but a regional league and bigger nations do World League, that's something that will cause millions of dollars out of reach of the smaller nations which, again, defeats what CONCACAF wanted to do and hurts those nations greatly.

I assumed that with a start date of 2019 this meant that there would be 5 regional leagues that would feed into one "World League." If UEFA is starting in 2018 I figured there would also be leagues for CONCACAF, which we've heard could start as early as 2018, CONEMBOL, CAF and AFC which would all have their own separate lower divisions which would feed upward with teams eventually being promoted to the World League, with the World Cup acting as the side by side cup competition. Similar to the regional setups in England and Germany.

If we were to get into the World League somehow (via qualification or any other way) we would get murdered. If we really want to grow our program we have to start gradually, not throw ourselves straight into the fire.

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I assumed that with a start date of 2019 this meant that there would be 5 regional leagues that would feed into one "World League." If UEFA is starting in 2018 I figured there would also be leagues for CONCACAF, which we've heard could start as early as 2018, CONEMBOL, CAF and AFC which would all have their own separate lower divisions which would feed upward with teams eventually being promoted to the World League, with the World Cup acting as the side by side cup competition. Similar to the regional setups in England and Germany.

The issues here are (also UEFA, OFC and CAF don't seem to be in the World League)

A) you do some damage to the World Cups reputation as winning the World League because the more difficult task

B ) Travel costs would be very high (prehaps too high for some nations)

C) It'll take funds away from smaller nations that would be there with a regional league which is why CONCACAF wanted to do it

37 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

If we were to get into the World League somehow (via qualification or any other way) we would get murdered. If we really want to grow our program we have to start gradually, not throw ourselves straight into the fire.

Canada would not get murdered. A) UEFA is not there B ) given the tier set up Canada would be playing nations ranked like 80-140 or some shit

Anyways this is a SHIT IDEA

Edited by matty

25 minutes ago, matty said:

The issues here are (also UEFA, OFC and CAF don't seem to be in the World League)

A) you do some damage to the World Cups reputation as winning the World League because the more difficult task

B ) Travel costs would be very high (prehaps too high for some nations)

C) It'll take funds away from smaller nations that would be there with a regional league which is why CONCACAF wanted to do it

Canada would not get murdered. A) UEFA is not there B ) given the tier set up Canada would be playing nations ranked like 80-140 or some shit

Anyways this is a SHIT IDEA

What I meant is that if we get past the qualifying round into a higher tier it would not end well for us. I do prefer the CONCACAF Nations League idea more though.

16 hours ago, Jith12 said:

What I meant is that if we get past the qualifying round into a higher tier it would not end well for us. I do prefer the CONCACAF Nations League idea more though.

If we made it into the World League it would mean we had improved drastically and therefore might not get murdered.

The travel aspect is concerning to me too, but perhaps they would not do a straight up draw for the groups in the 2nd and 3rd divisions. Maybe the top division with the more established nations could be spread more geographically, but the lower divisions could put geographically close nations in the same groups. Just a thought.

Personally I prefer the CONCACAF Nations league idea rather than a World league. Having separate nations leagues in each region might enhance the intrigue of the World Cup, whereas a World League would water down the importance of the World Cup.

On 01/11/2017 at 10:23 PM, Obinna said:

They almost earned a play off in WCQ to be fair

They really weren't that close. Just played their hard games at the end, which created the illusion. With three games left, the difficulty of their remaining schedule meant they were already done like an overcooked haggis.