Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
charlesmazz

Juan Guillermo Cordova

164 posts in this topic

He retweeted Canucks Abroad posting gif of his latest goal.

is there much reason to be excited about a guy in Chile 2nd tier though? How good is he in that league? I have no idea on either of these questions, just asking

toontownman likes this

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

is there much reason to be excited about a guy in Chile 2nd tier though? How good is he in that league? I have no idea on either of these questions, just asking

Well Chile is pretty damn good as a football nation obviously, having won the last 2 Copa America and being ranked 4 in the world.

The majority of their national players play domestically and Primera A is probably the 3rd or 4th best league in South America; no worse than the 5th in entire Americas.

Primera B is probably not far behind the 2nd levels of the other bigger soccer countries I'd think.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

He retweeted Canucks Abroad posting gif of his latest goal.

Ya I have no idea either but I think it's worth a look anyways. He's only 22 so there is nothing to lose

loving the South American finds of late 

4 hours ago, charlesmazz said:

Midfielder,  born in 95 in Los Andes, Chile but has a Canadian passport through his parents who reside in southern Ontario. Former Chile U20 and currently with Union San Felipe of Chile's Primera B.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuRO-5m-YHg&feature=youtu.be

Having a Canadian passport does not automatically make him eligible. Where were his parents and grandparents born? If they were born outside Canada he will require a special exemption as he has not been able to meet the residency requirement yet due to his age. How much time did he spend in Canada as a youth?

Toje likes this

7 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Having a Canadian passport does not automatically make him eligible. Where were his parents and grandparents born? If they were born outside Canada he will require a special exemption as he has not been able to meet the residency requirement yet due to his age. How much time did he spend in Canada as a youth?

I remember that you have a gopd grasp on FIFA eligiblity rules, so i have a question.

How can someone have a Canadian passport and not be eligible? You must have Canadian citizenship before a passport, don't you? Or is the more a question on how FIFA views residency and nationality?

Edited by Toje
Thomas likes this

20 minutes ago, Toje said:

I remember that you have a gopd grasp on FIFA eligiblity rules, so i have a question.

How can someone have a Canadian passport and not be eligible? You must have Canadian citizenship before a passport, don't you? Or is the more a question on how FIFA views residency and nationality?

Yes, i am refering to the FIFA eligibility requirements. So either you are born here or have a parent or grandparent born here, or you meet residency requirements. The res. reqs are you have to live here for 5 consecutive years after age 18 or if you moved here as a youth for non-footballing reasons you can apply for a special exemption.

Toje likes this

4 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

@charlesmazz, any chance you have a little more info on his citizenship? Did his parents have citizenship before he was born? Good find

My understanding is that his parents emigrated to southern Ontario in the late 70's and that they became Canadian citizens in 1988

Complete Homer likes this

25 minutes ago, charlesmazz said:

My understanding is that his parents emigrated to southern Ontario in the late 70's and that they became Canadian citizens in 1988

Thanks. So, IIRC, that would mean no problem with his eligibility, since he would be a natural born Canadian. 

Sweet! Hope he takes the world by storm

8 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

@charlesmazz I can't find what "sub 20" games he played with Chile. If he only played friendlies he wouldn't even need a one-time switch; he could be brought in very quickly.

He only played friendlies. Against  Peru and at camp in Argentina where the Chile U 20 team played several games against 1 st division clubs.

Just now, Keegan said:

So we've learned that his parents weren't born in Canada, so he isn't eligible that way.  According to this: http://uk.soccerway.com/players/juan-guillermo-cordova-torres/337253/ he was born in Chile.  So we would need him to have lived 5 years in Canada before the age of 18 for him to play for us.  

Doesn't look good: page 65 out of 84. http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/02/58/14/48/2015fifastatutesen_neutral.pdf :(

1 hour ago, charlesmazz said:

Why was he born in Chile? Did they go back temporarily, or did his mom give birth while visiting family? How long was Juan living in Canada as a child? This is very important because the CSA will have to ask for a special exemption and if the kid grew up most of his life here and was only born in Chile then we have a good chance. If they moved back to Chile and he grew up there and they only moved back to Canada recently then we are screwed.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

So we've learned that his parents weren't born in Canada, so he isn't eligible that way.  According to this: http://uk.soccerway.com/players/juan-guillermo-cordova-torres/337253/ he was born in Chile.  So we would need him to have lived 5 years in Canada before the age of 18 for him to play for us.  

You sure? Fairly certain that if his parents were citizens at the time of his birth, then he is a natural born citizen of Canada. 

The new-ish residency requirements apply to naturalized citizens, which he is not

Edit: Nevermind, rechecked the FIFA document 

Edited by Complete Homer

He could get an exemption if the CSA pressed for it; the rules are to stop Qatar becoming Brazil B. It would just be a massive headache for the CSA so they would have to REALLY have to want this guy.