mmd

Academies or Regional or The OPDL

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

BMO Champions Cup

A tournament featuring TFCA teams against the champs of OPDL, SAAC and CAF.

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/11/13/toronto-fc-host-inaugural-bmo-champions-cup-tournament

Results (hint: TFC win every age group)

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/11/19/bmo-champions-cup-day-four-recap

I think you missed page 6 of this thread, where the results were posted and there was a big discussion about what those results meant, if anything.

36 minutes ago, Kent said:

I think you missed page 6 of this thread, where the results were posted and there was a big discussion about what those results meant, if anything.

Oops, looks like i did.

More important then wins and loses is player development. Are some clubs losing because they are emphasizing certain concepts rather then simply going for wins? What might be more informative is which clubs are sending players on to one of the mls academies or specifically tfc and/or which clubs develop kids that are accepted to European academies and/or which clubs send kids to the ncaa and pros? In trying to decide where to send my son to play I would sooner send him to the club that has had success in moving kids on to one of the above then to the team that has a better winning %. If someone had data on this sort of developmental success I'd be very interested 

1 hour ago, Serge said:

More important then wins and loses is player development. Are some clubs losing because they are emphasizing certain concepts rather then simply going for wins? What might be more informative is which clubs are sending players on to one of the mls academies or specifically tfc and/or which clubs develop kids that are accepted to European academies and/or which clubs send kids to the ncaa and pros? In trying to decide where to send my son to play I would sooner send him to the club that has had success in moving kids on to one of the above then to the team that has a better winning %. If someone had data on this sort of developmental success I'd be very interested 

There is no easy answer unfortunately. Different clubs use different player development processes and get different results. The generally accepted answer to "where should I send my kid?" is "get your kid into the most technically gifted group possible".  Don't rely on coaches, team history, or ex-players....that all changes. The best way to ensure your kid is growing into a talent on the field is to consistently surround him/her with the best players that are available to them...talent is the only thing that will matter to NCAA coaches and pro scouts. 

On the marco level, winning doesn't matter except that it does. There are u15 teams out there that play a deep 4-1-4-1 and play the ball through the air to an unusually tall 14 year old constantly to win games. Texans SC Houston won the u18 USSDA title this year by using this tactic. However, these teams are getting few and far between. While Canada and the US still have a disappointing lack of talented youth coaches, the vast majority of academy coaches today are at least competent and play a positive brand of soccer. If we are talking USSDA, I'd say only 10-15% of teams are playing win at all costs soccer. So while no parent should be deterred by a bad record or swayed solely by a good record, the record of a team is pretty helpful in differentiating the quality of talent in the "positive soccer" academies.

One of the things I like a lot about L1O is that they occasionally release info on players that have moved on from the league to get pro contracts. Unfortunately it doesn't come close to covering all the youth team options, but some of the bigger clubs you can see how often they promote players from L1O to pro, so that is helpful. It would be great if OPDL, SAAC, etc. leagues would do this as well (I don't know if they give this info out or not, but I hope that is the way of the future).

Apparently SAAC will be running the OASL next season.  I wonder what they were offered to go along with this, given that none of the SAAC academies were willing to participate this past season.

On a side note, the U17 division of the Sigma Showcase tomorrow and Friday will have a few head-to-head games between SAAC and OPDL teams.

Time will tell if this is good or bad for SAAC and its membership. Will all OASL team automatically qualify to play in SAAC? Or do they have to meet specific standards to play. Did SAAC loosen their standars to allow OASL teams to play? Hopefully not. Maybe teams to be tiered in SAAC? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

18 minutes ago, Kent said:

What is OASL? My apologies if this has been mentioned earlier. Is that supposed to be the level below OPDL? Or is it a non OSA league?

You drew up a pyramid yourself on page 3 of this thread :). Anyway, it is a OS run academy league. OS claims that it is a level below OPDL.

Also, it would be nice if one could find the results of the sigma showcase online somewhere.

17 hours ago, Saviola7 said:

You drew up a pyramid yourself on page 3 of this thread :).

Ha. If a guy drawing up the pyramid can't remember how everything works together, then it's too convoluted!