munseahawk

2026 WC Bid?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kent said:

It definitely is interesting. Outside of this tweet it had sounded like Infantino was saying FIFA would decide, not CONCACAF...

I would have to guess there's quite a few CONCACAF countries who may not be willing to let Canada get in without having to qualify.

I'll frame it this way -- Suppose, many years down the road, there was a to be a united bid to host from a group of five Caribbean or Central American countries. As a Canadian, how willing would you be to let all of them in without having to qualify?

How about something conditional? They get an automatic qualification as host if, in the last rankings before qualifying is set to begin, they're in the FIFA top 40 (or 50, or whatever number they choose) ?

Edited by Heepster

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

If you want to see who voted for who, there's a list here:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/06/13/usa-canada-and-mexico-win-bid-host-2026-fifa-world-cup

Interestingly not all of Comnebol voted for the North American bid as previously reported would be the case  - Brazil for example voted for Morrocco. Iran (who play Morrocco in a couple of days) declined to vote.

ITALY Belguim amd Holland  voting  for  Morrocco  I find  odd  while  most  of  UEFA  voting for  us

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

ITALY Belguim amd Holland  voting  for  Morrocco  I find  odd  while  most  of  UEFA  voting for  us

Holland probably wanted to appease its high Moroccan population, the ex-pats engaging in cross country business....possibly something more shady as well happening in the background. 

Edited by Macksam

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

On the flipside, not everyone in Africa voted for Morrocco - Sierra Leone voted for us and so did Liberia. The predictions had been that all of Comnebol & Concacaf would go for us all of Africa would go for Morrocco and everyone else was up for grabs, but it didn't quite work out exactly like that.

Edited by Gian-Luca

Looking at it further, of the traditional big European soccer powers only Germany & England voted for us. Spain abstained from voting while France, Italy and Holland went for Morrocco.

9 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Underrated factor is the need for training sites.  While looking for CPL news found Victoria already looking at it

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/world-cup-teams-could-train-on-vancouver-island-1.23334130

There is  a  nice  training  site  that  can  be  used  over  here  at  the  University of Guelph

1 hour ago, cronaldo7 said:

Ha no way! I am a McMaster graduate in Commerce from about 10 years ago and he was running the faculty. 

I got to play intramural soccer with him. Uber-competitive and a good player as well. Super high energy guy; always very kind and positive. Didn't even realize he was the VP of the CSA. 

Actually Nick was a very good soccer player in his day played on some good local Toronto area men’s teams from what I remember and pretty sure he was a striker .

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

If there was a V's board in 1986, the threads could have been:

- George Pakos should stick to being a tradesman

- Is Ian Bridge the best defender ever to play for Canada

- Who should start against France?  Lettieri or Dolan?

- There should be more Canadians in MISL.

- Halifax team in the CSL?

You forgot the "John Van't Schip can go F*ck himself" thread...

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

If there was a V's board in 1986, the threads could have been:

- George Pakos should stick to being a tradesman

- Is Ian Bridge the best defender ever to play for Canada

- Who should start against France?  Lettieri or Dolan?

- There should be more Canadians in MISL.

- Halifax team in the CSL?

- New pro league to launch next year?

If there was a V's board in 1986, it would have been an actual bulletin board made of cork with tacked paper notes :).

1 minute ago, ray said:

If there was a V's board in 1986, it would have been an actual bulletin board made of cork with tacked paper notes :).

Or like My Face (if you know The League)

Image result for the league my face

1 hour ago, gigi riva said:

There is  a  nice  training  site  that  can  be  used  over  here  at  the  University of Guelph

Do they play on grass? 

6 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Do they play on grass? 

The  main  stadium  no   but  the  other  fields  are  all  grass

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

On the flipside, not everyone in Africa voted for Morrocco - Sierra Leone voted for us and so did Liberia. The predictions had been that all of Comnebol & Concacaf would go for us all of Africa would go for Morrocco and everyone else was up for grabs, but it didn't quite work out exactly like that.

Well the president of Liberia's son plays for the US National Team. Would have been rather awkward if they didn't.

Stephen Brunt sums today up best https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canada-will-ride-enormous-wave-soccer-support-2026-world-cup/

• The Olympics are one thing — and the 2010 Games in Vancouver and Whistler were something else entirely — a true watershed moment.

But this, by any objective measure, is going to be bigger.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Stephen Brunt sums today up best https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canada-will-ride-enormous-wave-soccer-support-2026-world-cup/

• The Olympics are one thing — and the 2010 Games in Vancouver and Whistler were something else entirely — a true watershed moment.

But this, by any objective measure, is going to be bigger.

Absolutely not.

From Canada's perspective, the World Cup is ten individual 90-minute games, with no championship, semi- or quarter-final matches.

The Olympics were a full 2+ weeks of events, 12 hours a day, with competition, including championship finals, in dozens of sports, all hosted in Canada.

It hardly bears comparison.

[Edited to remove invective].

Edited by spinrack

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

If you want to see who voted for who, there's a list here:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/06/13/usa-canada-and-mexico-win-bid-host-2026-fifa-world-cup

Interestingly not all of Comnebol voted for the North American bid as previously reported would be the case  - Brazil for example voted for Morrocco. Iran (who play Morrocco in a couple of days) declined to vote.

Uruguay, Chile and Argentina were rumoured to want to cohost the 2030 World Cup.  So I’m expecting CONCACAF to all vote for the bid down South.  Uruguay wanted the bid alone initially, but Argentina joined since they also wanted to co-host.  Same with Chile.  Funny how all those 3 countried hosted a World cup independantly, but now the economic situation is different that they can’t go at it alone.

2 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Italy and Holland can't even qualify for a World Cup. Loozas.

Brazil tho, common. Aren't we all on the same side here? Literally?

2 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Uruguay, Chile and Argentina were rumoured to want to cohost the 2030 World Cup.  So I’m expecting CONCACAF to all vote for the bid down South.  Uruguay wanted the bid alone initially, but Argentina joined since they also wanted to co-host.  Same with Chile.  Funny how all those 3 countried hosted a World cup independantly, but now the economic situation is different that they can’t go at it alone.

Yes, and also the size of the tournament. Far more teams, far more games...

26 minutes ago, spinrack said:

Absolutely not.

From Canada's perspective, the World Cup is ten individual 90-minute games, with no championship, semi- or quarter-final matches.

The Olympics were a full 2+ weeks of events, 12 hours a day, with competition, including championship finals, in dozens of sports, all hosted in Canada.

It hardly bears comparison.

[Edited to remove invective].

If you read the article, he's comparing the impact the World Cup will have on soccer in Canada will be greater compared to the impact of the Olympics.  Not the scale of each event.

I can't wait for this! It will be awesome! My only question is that, what types of renovations will have to be done to BMO in Toronto? We already know that Montreal is getting a new roof, and new seats for the stadium. Edmonton might have to make a few upgrades such as adding another scoreboard. But Toronto is trying to get their capacity to 45,000. Could we see another major renovation at BMO? 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, ShaneC06 said:

I can't wait for this! It will be awesome! My only question is that, what types of renovations will have to be done to BMO in Toronto? We already know that Montreal is getting a new roof, and new seats for the stadium. Edmonton might have to make a few upgrades such as adding another scoreboard. But Toronto is trying to get their capacity to 45,000. Could we see another major renovation at BMO? 

They've already stated that the only planned changes to BMO field will be temporary bleachers to expand the capacity for the duration of the games that are played there.  And probably some minor changes to accommodate increased security, etc.  In other words, no permanent alteration of any significance.

Of course all such plans could change, but they indicated nothing beyond that in the bid.

Edited by spinrack

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Macksam said:

Holland probably wanted to appease its high Moroccan population, the ex-pats engaging in cross country business....possibly something more shady as well happening in the background. 

Or maybe they just preferred Morocco? The implication here is that anyone who voted for Morocco is corrupt. I know it's FIFA and all, but that's not the way it always works.

Edited by RJB
Pressed submit prematurely